My loves

My  loves
Our family

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hannah is a blue rose


My sister Pam gave Hannah this blue rose blanket for her bd to go with this story

         Blue Rose
       


Having four visiting family members, my wife was very busy, so I offered
to
go to the store for her to get some needed items, which included light
bulbs, paper towels, trash bags, detergent and Clorox. So off I went.

I scurried around the store, gathered up my goodies and headed for the
checkout counter, only to be blocked in the narrow aisle by a young man
who
appeared to be about sixteen-years-old.. I wasn't in a hurry, so I
patiently
waited for the boy to realize that I was there. This was when he waved
his
hands excitedly in the air and declared in a loud voice, "Mommy, I'm
over
here."

It was obvious now, he was mentally challenged and also

startled as he turned and saw me standing so close to him, waiting to
squeeze by. His eyes widened and surprise exploded on his face as I
said,
"Hey Buddy, what's your name?"

"My name is Denny and I'm shopping with my mother," he responded
proudly.

"Wow," I said, "that's a cool name; I wish my name was Denny, but my
name is
Steve.."

"Steve, like Stevarino?" he asked.  "Yes," I answered. "How old are you
Denny?"

"How old am I now, Mommy?" he asked his mother as she slowly came over
from
the next aisle.

"You're fifteen-years-old Denny; now be a good boy and let the man pass
by."

I acknowledged her and continued to talk to Denny for several more
minutes
about summer, bicycles and school. I watched his brown eyes dance with
excitement, because he was the center of someone's attention. He then
abruptly turned and headed toward the toy section.

Denny's mom had a puzzled look on her face and thanked me for

taking the time to talk with her son. She told me that most people
wouldn't
even look at him, much less talk to him.

I told her that it was my pleasure and then I said something I have no
idea
where it came from, other than by the prompting of the Holy Spirit. I
told
her that there are plenty of red, yellow, and pink roses in God's
Garden;
however, "Blue Roses" are very rare and should be appreciated for their
beauty and distinctiveness. You see, Denny is a Blue Rose and if someone
doesn't stop and smell that rose with their heart and touch

that rose with their kindness, then they've missed a blessing from God.

She was silent for a second, then with a tear in her eye she asked, "Who
are
you?"

Without thinking I said, "Oh, I'm probably just a dandelion, but I sure
love
living in God's garden."

She reached out, squeezed my hand and said, "God bless you!" and then I
had
tears in my eyes..

May I suggest, the next time you see a BLUE ROSE, don't turn your head
and
walk off. Take the time to smile and say Hello. Why? Because, by the
grace
of GOD, this mother or father could be you. This could be your child,
grandchild, niece or nephew. What a difference a moment can mean to that
person or their

family.

From an old dandelion!
 Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest
to
God.
                        

No comments: