We saw the endocrinologist on friday. She said that she was going to make our life a little more complicated :( she did but I really liked her. Hannah has an underactive thryoid so she put her on synthroid. And then she told me that she has a problem with her pituitary gland having low levels. They are concerned about her cortisol levels. I am taking her for bloodwork first thing Monday morning, it has to be done at 8am. Endo and urology decided there was too much risk for her to have surgery not sure of the cortisol level, it could cause a lot of problems, it could have contributed to her kidney failure during her spinal fusion but there is no way to know. So we are postponing it. That will give them more time to pre auth the two days of bowel prep in hospital, they are not comfortable letting us do any of it at home with her history of low sodium, calcium, etc.
We saw rheumatology too. They examined her very thoroughly and didn't find anything to support the high levels of rheumatoid factor, they said it 's not unusual for a girl her age to have those levels. So, thankfully we don't have to add them to our specialist list. They were the 5th new specialist we have seen since her spinal fusion :(
My youngest blessings are our youngest daughter Hannah who is sweet 16yo and has a rare chromosome deletion (1q 24.1-31.1). Taylor is our first grandchild born 9/1/08. Or first grandson Jonas was born 11/5/10 Taylor's little brother Logan was born 1/12/11
My loves
Our family
Sunday, January 8, 2012
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Surgery drama :)
Hannah's mitrofanoff surgery is next wed, 1/11. She is supposed to be admitted 2 days before for bowel prep. Yesterday morning the urologist called and said that the allergist didn't think she should have surgery until she was seen by Endocrinlogy and Rheumatology. I panicked and he said he would call dr M, the medically complex dr. I called his office too and also called allergy. the allergist that made this decision doesn't work at dupont anymore. After a lot of phone calls, they made her appts on friday with endo and rheum....amazing! So I was talking to urology and telling them about the appts, she mentioned hannah was to be admitted on tuesday! I found out that her insurance (medical assistance) doesn't think she needs 2 days of bowel prep! today another lady called from urology and said she was trying to find out what was done today, the dr was going to do a peer to peer review about this. Because she is also a nephrology patient they want to be careful how they do it. I am still praying MA comes through and lets her have the 2 days, otherwise we are going to have to do some of that here :( The dr called the pre auth # and they also did a letter of necesity...please pray they can work it out. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow.
When she had bloodwork done for allergy, he did testing for her thyroid and auto immune disorders, she has high thyroid and ANA levels...so she must be in a lot more pain that we realize. I am a little nervous at what they are going to tell me at the appts.
When she had bloodwork done for allergy, he did testing for her thyroid and auto immune disorders, she has high thyroid and ANA levels...so she must be in a lot more pain that we realize. I am a little nervous at what they are going to tell me at the appts.
Monday, December 12, 2011
Hannah's appt with the medically complex team
Hannah was referred to the medially complex team (diagnostic referral drs) I told him that nephrology said they were surprised we hadn't been referred there before now, dr M said I am surpised too! He went through a lot of her medical history especially in the last year. He was surprised that she hadn't had a 24 EEG...her nuero says we know she is having seizures but dr M said he wants to know if she is having continuous szs...I agree with him, I already know she is having more szs than we realize. I told him about Hannah's leg swelling (just her right one) and he thinks she has lymphedema. He changed her feedings so she is getting boluses at night too instead of continuous. We haven't started that yet, he wants us to check her blood sugar in the mornings and we don't have a glucometer yet. He also agreed that the mitrofanoff surgery is the best thing for her. He was looking at her bloodwork and said it doesn't look like she has von willebrands..she does have some kind of clotting disorder so he was going to talk to hematology before out appt next week with them.
We have an appt with orthopedics wed and next week an appt with hematology for her bleeding disorder and surgery. then after Christmas we will have pre op. She is being admitted on Jan 9 for bowel prep and surgery is Jan 11. Urology said they start feeding them 2 days after surgery and she has to have a bm to come home. I figure about 1 week in the hospital if all goes well and she doesn't throw any curve balls at us :)
we are getting excite about Christmas, I think I finished my shopping today and next week, our middle daughter Jenn and her family are coming..I can't wait to get all my grandbabies together again.
Chuck, Hannah and I want to wish you all a very merry Christmas!
We have an appt with orthopedics wed and next week an appt with hematology for her bleeding disorder and surgery. then after Christmas we will have pre op. She is being admitted on Jan 9 for bowel prep and surgery is Jan 11. Urology said they start feeding them 2 days after surgery and she has to have a bm to come home. I figure about 1 week in the hospital if all goes well and she doesn't throw any curve balls at us :)
we are getting excite about Christmas, I think I finished my shopping today and next week, our middle daughter Jenn and her family are coming..I can't wait to get all my grandbabies together again.
Chuck, Hannah and I want to wish you all a very merry Christmas!
![]() |
| This shows the swelling in her right leg |
Friday, November 11, 2011
Monday, October 31, 2011
Hannah's surgery
Talked to urology today and Hannah's surgery is going to be on jan 11, she will be admitted on jan 9th for bowel prep (thankfully she will be in the hospital and I don't have to do that ) She asked if I wanted the first available but i told her she has an appt with the medically complex team on dec 8 and the 21st sees hematology...glad we won't spend another Christmas in the hospital.
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Urology Appt and Bronch Results
It was a long day yesterday. Chuck went with us so we had planned on leaving at 8:00...a few minutes before he ran to get gas in the van. Since the windows had a lot of dew on them, her rolled them down so he could see. unfortunately the passenger window wouldn't got back up. He had to take the whole window apart and get it back up so we could go. He found out the motor had gone out in it, so he got the window almost all the way up. He got the part later so he can fix it...so that made us 1/2 hour late leaving but since he was driving and could drop us off. we go there on time.
The testing for urology was first. While the nurse was setting up and waiting for the dr we talked about Hannah's problems and I asked her about the Mitrofanoff and she said that she would definately qualify. She brought it up to the dr that did the testing and again the dr that we saw in clinic. He is going to go ahead and schedule it, it should be a simple procedure unless they get in there and she doesn't have an appendix. Then they will have to do more. This would make things nice for me cathing her but really good for Hannah! He asked me what drs does she see? I just kind of looked at him and he started asking different drs if we see, then he asked if we are followed by the medically complex team? I told him no but the funny thing was it was listed on my paper to ask the drs why we aren't followed by them. He got us an appt on Dec 8 with Dr Malatack. He wants us to see him before we have the surgery.
After lunch we saw Dr Chidekel, our fav dr to do the bronch. Brian, one of the resp therapists came over to us in the waiting room and started chatting, he said long time no see, I laughed and said that's a good thing :) He was there to help with the bronch so they took us back pretty quick. They did see a lot of Tracheomalacia in her airway when she coughs. That is why she is on the vent but I haven't been using it as much during the day as I used to. She does have room in her airway to go up a little bit in size of her trach but not enough to go up another size so we have to do another custom trach. She is in a size 5.5 which is the largest pediatric trach, the length of that is 52cm and an adult 6.0 is 70cm so they are ordering in between, a custom 60cm. She already gets a custom trach because she has a cuffed trach and thebivona flex.tend doesn't come with a cuff.
We had a pretty good day, chuck took his work laptop and got some work done while we were there. We met my mom and took her out to dinner so that was nice.
The testing for urology was first. While the nurse was setting up and waiting for the dr we talked about Hannah's problems and I asked her about the Mitrofanoff and she said that she would definately qualify. She brought it up to the dr that did the testing and again the dr that we saw in clinic. He is going to go ahead and schedule it, it should be a simple procedure unless they get in there and she doesn't have an appendix. Then they will have to do more. This would make things nice for me cathing her but really good for Hannah! He asked me what drs does she see? I just kind of looked at him and he started asking different drs if we see, then he asked if we are followed by the medically complex team? I told him no but the funny thing was it was listed on my paper to ask the drs why we aren't followed by them. He got us an appt on Dec 8 with Dr Malatack. He wants us to see him before we have the surgery.
After lunch we saw Dr Chidekel, our fav dr to do the bronch. Brian, one of the resp therapists came over to us in the waiting room and started chatting, he said long time no see, I laughed and said that's a good thing :) He was there to help with the bronch so they took us back pretty quick. They did see a lot of Tracheomalacia in her airway when she coughs. That is why she is on the vent but I haven't been using it as much during the day as I used to. She does have room in her airway to go up a little bit in size of her trach but not enough to go up another size so we have to do another custom trach. She is in a size 5.5 which is the largest pediatric trach, the length of that is 52cm and an adult 6.0 is 70cm so they are ordering in between, a custom 60cm. She already gets a custom trach because she has a cuffed trach and thebivona flex.tend doesn't come with a cuff.
We had a pretty good day, chuck took his work laptop and got some work done while we were there. We met my mom and took her out to dinner so that was nice.
Sunday, October 23, 2011
Hannah long overdue update :)
![]() |
| Hannah today in her sparkly outfit today |
Hannah has had a few colds and fevers off and on for a while, nothing major though. Her bloodwork has been doing pretty good.
I have to straight cath Hannah's urine every 4 hours during the day and overnight the nurses but in a cathter, tape it to her leg and let the urine run into a diaper. She cringes almost every time we cath her and especially when we take the catheter out...they think she could be having bladder spasms..we get a lot of urine everytime and it gets to be a pain every 4 hours especially trying to find someplace to cath her in public. We finally are going to do some testing from urology this tues (10/25) and see a urologist after, not our regular one, he isn't available that day. Hopefully we can get some anwers. I have been praying that they bring up having a mitrofanoff done, if they don't I am...something has to be done to make it easier.
She is also going to see the pulmonologist and have a bronch done it clinic...her cough sounds like her tracheomalacia is worse. He is hoping he can upsize her trach and see if that helps. The only problem is I am not sure if we can get a custom bivona flex tend with a foam cuff in a size 6.0. I haven't been using her vent a lot during the day so I am wondering if that's why.
That is going to be long day so chuck took the day off since it might be dark going home.
Pray for us for answers on tuesday. I will try to remember to update when we get home. Thanks for the continuing prayers.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)

